Participation in athletics is an essential part of the PCD student experience. We know that every student is different and we love that about our student body; some are travel team veterans, some would rather spend free time in the art studio. But the painter will benefit from being on the soccer team and the tennis ace will find a new means of expression with a paint brush or a piece of clay. PCD students try new things, they get better at what they're good at and they discover new talents. Confirmed "non-athletes" have found a life-long love of a new sport, just because they were required to participate broadly. The benefits of being on a team and regular physical activity are indisputable—proven through research as well as on the PCD playing fields and courts. There is something for everyone here; the athletic requirement ensures that students take advantage of the opportunities.
Minimum Upper School Athletic Participation Requirements
|Grade Entering PCD Upper School||Points Required for Graduation|
*If you have earned 9 points by the end of junior year, you must earn at least two additional points as a senior.
- A minimum of 9 points must be earned to fulfill the upper school graduation requirement for athletics (2 per year).
- 1 Point is earned for each season that you participate on one of the following:
- PCD varsity team
- PCD junior varsity team
- PCD Players musical cast
- Freshmen, as well as new 10th, 11th, and 12th graders must participate on a fall team.
- 1 Point is earned for daily team manager commitment.
- 1 Point is earned for school approved outside activity.
- May only be used for athletic/physical activity not offered by PCD.
- Outside sport minimum requirement is 10 hours per week.
- ½ Point is earned for winter intramurals (2 days/week) or Fit for Life (3 days/week).
- A 4-day commitment will earn 1 point.
- ½ Point is earned for game-day support/scoring.
- Medical exemptions must be verified by health or training staff.
- 9 Points are the minimum and student-athletes are encouraged to take full advantage of the PCD athletic program.
MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETIC REQUIREMENTS
Middle School students must participate in a PCD team sport in each of the three sports seasons. Students benefit from school sports regardless of age, prior experience, or ability and it is important that all middle school students be held to the same standards of participation and effort as students in the upper school. Students not wishing to participate in competitive team athletics will have a fencing option for an additional fee, that will meet everyday during the middle school sports period at an off-campus facility.
Non-competitive fencing is also available for an additional charge.