GLOSSARY OF PLACES & TERMS
Following are some of the named locations on our campus. Many other rooms and areas have been named by generous donors, and are identified by plaques outside an office, on a bench or near a garden. They reflect a deep commitment and spirit of philanthropy that is an essential part of our culture.
Bazar Basketball Court: In honor of more than 40 years of service to PCD, the Bazar Court was dedicated in 2012 and is located in the Moran Annex.
Boss Field: In recognition of three generations of the Boss family and their service to PCD, this field is located beyond the northeast corner of Lund Hall.
Cerce Quad: This outdoor sitting and picnic area, located between Lund Hall and Murray House, was the gift of Linda, Gerald and Gennaro ’94 Cerce.
Chace Hall: This building houses the dining hall, bookstore, the Nature Lab, and Middle School Science classrooms. 400,000-pound Chace Hall was moved to the east side of Pawtucket Avenue during the summer of 1996, thanks to a gift from Elizabeth and Malcolm Chace, Jr. The dining hall was the second of the original school buildings, from the mid-1920s, and was named for Malcolm Chace, father of Arnold, ’32.
Chowder Day: Each October, PCD’s homecoming features athletic competitions, family fun and a chowder buffet. The fall tradition was started in 1943 by Carl Hesse and Robert Chapin, fathers of two PCD students.
Cum Laude: A national honor society recognizing academic excellence.
Field Day: An annual day of sporting contests between the Red and Black teams. Each student is assigned to the Red or Black team upon enrollment at PCD.
Kilcullen Student Commons: This addition to Lund Hall was completed in 2000, and gives Upper School students a space to relax, read, and socialize between classes. It was the gift of Trustee Sally, Joseph ’99, Casey ’01 and Caitlin Kilcullen in memory of Paul Kilcullen.
Haberlandt Hall: Amphitheater-style multi-media classroom, located in Lund Hall, named in honor of Susan Haberlandt, PCD’s 7th head of school.
Knights: The PCD mascot and name used for our athletic teams in interscholastic competition.
Leeds Library: Named in honor of David R. Leeds ’67, Leeds Library houses the Middle and Upper School collections in the Lund building.
Living Classroom: Ten acres of campus wetlands and woodlands that include an outdoor covered pavilion, supporting the interdisciplinary study of the environment. Also referred to as the “Nature Trail & Pavilion.”
Lund Hall: Home to the Upper School, completed in 1971 and named in honor of Edward G. Lund, Headmaster from 1934-1965.
Metcalf Hall: The original Metcalf Gymnasium, gift of Stephen O. Metcalf, grandfather of Michael ’51, was completed in 1928. Erected on PCD’s West Campus, across Pawtucket Avenue, Metcalf once housed the Bookstore, Middle School Athletic Office, locker rooms, a basketball court, and Health Services. Relocated to the East Campus, courtesy of a gift from The Providence Journal Company in memory of the late publisher Michael P. Metcalf ’51, Metcalf Hall is now home to the Middle School, Corkery Auditorium, the Dickinson Fine Arts Wing, the digital media lab, and the Middle School Learning Center.
Mid-Morning: A snack break for Middle Schoolers held in Chace Hall.
Moran Annex: Built in 1997, as an addition to West Field House, the Moran Annex replaced Metcalf Gymnasium, and was named in honor of the Paul and Timothy Moran families.
Murray House: The administration building, built in 1997, was named in honor of Joseph W. Murray, father of J. Terrence Murray ’58. It houses the Read Head of School’s Office, Helen Woodruff Conference Room, Boss Admissions Office, Porcaro Business Office, and Institutional Advancement Offices.
Nature Lab (also known as the Da Vinci Lab): An interdisciplinary classroom where the studies of science and art converge, using the School’s extensive natural science collection.
Nature Trail & Pavilion: Ten acres of campus wetlands and woodlands that include an outdoor covered pavilion, supporting the interdisciplinary study of the environment. Also referred to as the “Living Classroom.”
Ossman Practice Field: The field between the baseball diamond and the lacrosse field, named in memory of Mae and Fred Ossman, parents of teacher/coach Tom Ossman. Mae and Fred never missed a single football game at PCD during their lifetimes when Mr. Ossman was coaching.
Red & Black: The Providence Country Day School yearbook. Also the school colors and the ongoing in-house team competition.
Shurman Center for Global Understanding and Language Studies: Language laboratory with multi-lingual computer workstations, audio/video conferencing capabilities and other multi-media hardware and software.
Stepping-Up Day: A ceremony honoring Middle School student achievements and recognizing 8th graders who are “Stepping-Up” to the Upper School. Middle School families are invited to attend.
Summerhouse: The informal outdoor meeting place for students. Originally located on the West Campus, this landmark was relocated between Chace and Metcalf during the campus consolidation in 1997.
Evan R. West Field House: Indoor athletic facility completed in 1983 and named in honor of Evan R. West, Headmaster from 1965 to 1985.
Woodruff Football Field: Named in honor of Gerald B. Woodruff by an anonymous donor.