Dear Providence Country Day Parents,
Greetings to all in our community on this mild and blustery Sunday afternoon! Thanks to students and faculty for an excellent transition back to school this past week.
We have a busy week ahead and tomorrow will be a B Day.
(1). We will hold Winter Parent Conferences on Friday, January 17. There will be no classes on this day.
- Middle School appointments with advisors will be held in Metcalf Hall. Please contact Mrs. Kelly at extension 122 with any questions.
- Upper School conferences are with subject teachers, not advisors. These meetings will be held in Corkery Auditorium, on the second floor of Metcalf. If you haven't done so yet, please schedule your Upper School appointment by using the online registration process via the parent portal. It will remain live through Tuesday. Please contact Mrs. Harris at the Upper School office at extension 161 with any questions.
(2). A reminder that we will host our Admissions Visiting Parents Day this Wednesday, January 15. Thanks in advance to all who will support this important day, as prospective parents visit classes and learn more about our program. This day will be a semi-special dress day for our students. We are asking all students to take their dress up a notch, and to refrain from wearing jeans, sneakers, t-shirts and sweatshirts on Wednesday.
(3). Much appreciation to Trustee Doug Ames '76 and his wife Mary for arranging this past Wednesday's entertaining full-school assembly with Kenyon College's a cappella group, the Kokosingers.
(4). Many thanks to juniors and seniors for their excellent engagement with visiting alum Paul Shaw '13 on Tuesday. Thanks also to Mr. Ward for setting up this past Wednesday's young alumni panel discussion with current seniors, at which members of last year's graduating class shared their perspectives about their first semester in college.
(5). From Mr. Ward: We formally begin the college counseling process with our Junior College Night on Thursday, January 30. We'll start at 7 p.m. and be done by 8.30 p.m. This event is required for all juniors and their parents. Ms. Ann Fleming Brown, Director of Admissions at Union College in New York will be the guest speaker. This event will bring you a lot of important information about the college admissions process. We will meet in Haberlandt Hall on Thursday, January 30 at 7 p.m. Thank you.
6). Juniors or seniors who are interested in a proposed New Hampshire primary trip on February 4 are asked to respond to Ms. Deitch's email from Friday.
(7). Another heads up that we will "flip" letter days next week on Tuesday, January 21 and Thursday, January 23, to accommodate a full-school assembly with PCD alumni entrepreneurs. January 21 will now be an A day and January 23 an F day.
(8). This week's athletic schedule is listed below. Please consult coaches' emails for specific team information about the coming week. Our teams have been playing exciting contests so far this season, and it has been great to see so many supporters in the stands. All are invited and encouraged to attend Tuesday's girls and boys varsity basketball doubleheader against Rocky Hill at Brown's Pizzitola Center. First game starts at 4:00 p.m.
Lastly for this week, the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards is part of a national program that identifies and develops teenage creativity. Each year thousands of students from across the country compete on the regional level, with regional winners moving onto the National Competition in New York later in the spring. Congratulations and good luck to the following PCD students whose work was submitted to the regional competition for judging this weekend!
- Class of 2020: Wolfgang Curl, Michael Harris, Emerson Kopsack, Sophie Robinson, Finn Small, Charles Yancho, Liyuan Cygnus Zhang
- Class of 2021: Aaron Colberg, Gale Goodwin, Wangming Leo Jiang, Ava Kooloian, Luke Mello, Emily Waite
- Class of 2022: Tyler Gomes, Calei Harris, Will Lillsebbas, Adam Mamdani, Jason Sturges, Reggie Ouellette
- Class of 2023: Drew Harris
School will be closed next Monday, January 20, as we pause to observe the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
Best wishes to all for a great week!
Upper School Community Time, Week of January 13 - 17
Monday, January 13 B Assembly / Ambassadors Meeting 10AM.
Tuesday, January 14 C Advisory (midterm grades check-in)
Wednesday, January 15 D Snack / Student Council. Pride Alliance.
Thursday, January 16 E Tutorials / 9th Grade Study Hall / Community Standards
Friday, January 17 Parent Conference Day