Good evening PCD families,
Following our first full week of school, I trust that our students and families are enjoying a well-deserved rest this beautiful Fall weekend. From grade level coffees to a variety of athletic events, Parents Night, and an all-school assembly on Friday, the PCD campus was abuzz with activity. It has been so wonderful to welcome all of our students AND parents back on campus for the full PCD program.
Our Middle School had a fantastic experience as we welcomed our friends from "Nature's Classroom" to campus on Wednesday and Thursday. One enthusiastic sixth grader noted, "That was the most fun I've ever had in school! Ranger was such a cool teacher and I loved learning the science behind launching bottle rockets." Thanks to our 35 acre campus, our Middle School turned the PCD grounds into their own living classroom this week. Way to go!
On Thursday evening we welcomed our Upper School families to our first Parents Night in two years. It was wonderful to have our teachers and parents cultivating this distinct feature of the PCD experience. Parents had the opportunity to connect with advisors, hear from teachers, and to experience a "day in the life" of their high school student. For those parents who could not attend, please check out the teachers videos below in section #3.
Congratulations to our many athletic teams who are working hard, meshing as a unit, and finding some impressive results. Our football team had a decisive 44-0 victory over Tiverton on Friday night; Girls Soccer dominated Central HS 8-1; Cross Country took home a first place finish at the Rocky Hill Invitational; JV Boys soccer beat a tough Wheeler School team 4-3; Girls Volleyball defeated Blackstone Valley Prep 3-1; and Varsity Boys Soccer vanquished Ponaganset 2-1. Keep up the great work, Knights!
Students received their first Quarterly Update this past week, which gave them a sense of their progress in classes. I hope that everyone is feeling proud of the work they put in this first part of the trimester. If not, there is still time to work hard, connect with teachers, and pull up those grades before our mid-term reports.
Let's have another great week. Go Knights!
Weekly Bulletin: September 27 - October 1
- Monday, September 27 G Day Tutorials, Students of Color Union (SOCU)
- Tuesday, September 28 A Day 10th & 12th Grade - Class Meetings; 9th & 11th - Advisory
- Wednesday, September 29 B Day Tutorials, Student Council, Pride Alliance
- Thursday, September 30 C Day International Student Meeting, Peer Advisor Meeting
- Friday, October 1 D Day Club Meetings
- Tuesday, September 28 Middle School Grades Parent Coffee (5,6) - 8:00am in Chace Hall
- Thursday, September 30 Middle School Parent Night (In person - schedule to follow)
- Friday, October 8 PCD Annual Flu Clinic (See link below)
- Saturday, October 16 Chowder Day!!!
1. Chowder Day, Saturday, October 16
Calling all volunteers! Chowder Day 2021 will be held on October 16 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. This is one of our most highly anticipated events of the year. We hope you will join us as our community comes together to cheer on PCD Knights in athletic contests throughout the day, enjoy chowder and clam cakes, and catch up with old friends and new. We are looking for volunteers to assist with set-up, food service, clean-up and more. Your volunteer support will make Chowder Day a huge success! Please visit SignUp.com for more information or contact Melissa Dick at (401) 438-5170 ext. 140 or by email. Thank you! Go Knights!!
2. Middle School Parents Night, September 30 We are excited to welcome our Middle School parents to campus this week. The 5th and 6th grade program begins at 6:00pm in the field house and ends at 7:15pm. The program for 7th and 8th grade parents is 7:15-8:30pm, also starting in the field house.
3. Upper School Parents' Night was a great success on Thursday night! Thank you to all of the parents who came to campus to connect with each other and meet with teachers and advisors. For those who were unable to attend in person, our Upper School faculty members all recorded brief videos that parents can view any time and virtually "meet" their child's teachers through these introductions. Mr. King has compiled all of these video introductions here: Upper School Parents' Night - Virtual Introductions
4. Parents Association Meeting
This is the link to the recording of Thursday's Parents' Association meeting. Thank you to all who were able to attended!
5. Providence Country Day Yearly Flu Clinic
Open to all PCD Students, Faculty & Staff, Family, and Friends ages 3 and up.
- When: Friday, 10/8/2021
- Time: 2:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- Location: Field House
- Register in advance: schoolflu.com
- See attached flyer
7. Upper School students are reminded that the official start of the school day is 8:20 a.m. for homeroom. Every Monday and Friday, Upper School students go to a full class homeroom and Tuesday and Thursday we meet in advisory groups. Students arriving at homeroom after 8:20 a.m. are considered tardy. Wednesday is the only day we do not have homeroom and students are expected in first period class at 8:40 a.m. Multiple unexcused late arrivals will result in Wednesday or Saturday detentions.
8. We continue to stress the importance of keeping students' home when they are sick. Nurse Costa will follow all RI Department of Health guidelines for students who are symptomatic or in close contact to a person who tests positive. Please see RIDOH's Back to School Health & Safety FAQS
- Varsity Girls Soccer at Burrillville at 4:15pm
Dismissal at 2:30pm Bus at 3:00pm ETA---> PCD at 6:45pm
- JV Football at Tiverton at 4:00pm
Dismissal at 2:15pm Bus at 3:00pm ETA---> PCD at 6:30pm
- Varsity Tennis at Bay View at 4:00pm
Dismissal at 2:15pm Bus at 2:45pm ETA---> PCD at 6:15pm
- Varsity Volleyball vs. Hope at 4:30pm
- MS Girls B Soccer at Gordon at 3:45pm
- MS Boys A Soccer at Gordon at 4:45pm
Bus at 3:15pm ETA---> PCD at 5:00pm (Girls B) ETA---> PCD at 6:00pm (Boys A)
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs. Westerly at 3:45pm
- MS Cross Country Fun Run at 4:00pm
- Varsity Cross Country at Marianapolis at 3:45pm
Dismissal at 1:30pm Bus at 2:00pm ETA---> PCD at pm 6:15pm
- MS Coed B Soccer at Pennfield at 3:30pm
- MS Boys A Soccer at Pennfield at 4:30pm
Bus at 2:40pm ETA---> PCD at 6:15pm
- Varsity Tennis vs. Central at 4:00pm
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs. Rogers at 5:00pm
- JV Volleyball at Mt. Pleasant at 4:30pm
- Varsity Volleyball at Mt. Pleasant at 6:00pm
Bus at 3:30pmETA--->PCD at 8:00pm
- MS Coed B Soccer at West Bay Christian Academy at 3:30pm
Bus at 2:45pmETA---> PCD at 5:15pm
- Varsity Football at North Providence at 6:00pm
- Varsity Boys Soccer at Scituate at 1:00pm
Bus at 11:45am ETA--->PCD at 3:15pm